Anisa presents a brief oral history of Islamophobia in the US in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. We often reference "what Muslims went through" but what exactly did that involve? We cover the big stuff, the little stuff, and how it all formed the epicenter of a global campaign of terror and violence that targeted over a billion people. Including: the ideological framing of a political phenomenon, the state's exclusive right to kill, and the two sides of American exceptionalism.
- The long costs of Islamophobia by Anisa Khalifa
- Citations Needed on whitewashing Colin Powell's legacy and their excellent series on anti-Muslim racism in Hollywood: Part I Part II Part III
- Barbara Lee’s speech on September 14, 2001, as she voted against the invasion of Afghanistan
- Secret evidence and extraordinary rendition to CIA black sites, where people were detained and tortured before being put in Guantanamo Bay: One prisoner's recent testimony
- George W. Bush’s now infamous address on September 20, 2001: "You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists"
- The FBI's COINTELPRO-like program of entrapment targeting ordinary Muslims
- (Anisa regrets to say that, despite declaring she will never forget it, she in fact misquoted the statistic that 53% of white women voted for Trump in 2016.)
Hosts and Producers: Anisa Khalifa and Khadija Khalil
Editor: Khadija Khalil
Consulting Producer: Paroma Chakravarty